Saturday, April 14, 2012

Lymphedema and the TravelScoot


Coming to Grips With Ones' Frailty

Submitted by Dean Hughson

As your lymphedema progresses you may find it increasingly difficult to walk.  Many people never reach that point,thankfully, but for those who do, adjusting to it is difficult.  Thinking back I can remember when walking into a theater or a large mall, 'hurt' but I would soldier it on and do it.  I started finding ways to park closer to the door and ultimately I began using a mobility scooter and finally 'www.travelscoot.com'.  Once I found the TravelScoot I was no longer 'isolated' and could do the travel that I used to do. In fact I did 180,000 miles in one year and my faithful TravelScoot never failed me once.

Obviously I'd rather not have to use it but I do and it makes me mobile again.  I urge people not to 'avoid' the reality that they are not moving around as much and get some help.  There is nothing to be ashamed about: diseases happen to many people.

I am not the strong guy I once was but I am still able to get around and that makes all the difference in the world.

1 comment:

  1. I too have lymphedema and it does just gradually make getting around harder and harder. I don't know what I would have done without my scoot. I don't think I'd still be employed without it.

    I can't imagine all the miles you travel each year Dean. It is wonderful hearing about and seeing snap shots of you all over the world. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete