Friday, November 1, 2013

Welcome, Margaret!

A shot from FantasyFest 2012
From Margaret:

My wonderful little scooter arrived last Monday. I was a bit intimidated when I saw all the pieces in the box, but it soon became clear that with only a little bit of help from my mechanically inclined husband the scooter would be upright and ready for its first ride.  My townhouse is small, so I kept riding about 15 feet back and forth trying to tell what it would be like when I really went "on the road."

That happened the very next day. We live in Miami and had planned a trip to the Florida Keys for a few days of R&R. Every year we go to Key West on this particular weekend to attend a rather unusual weekend called Fantasy Fest. It's part Halloween festival, part adult (very adult) costumes that range from elaborate to barely any clothing at all. On Friday there is a street fair with food vendors plus arts and crafts booths. Although we've been attending this event for 18 years, for the past five years or so I haven't been able to wander the seven blocks of the street fair. I've always parked myself somewhere while my husband and other family members walked around. I did enjoy watching the costumes stroll by, but it's just not the same as being able to walk it. THIS year I was off and scooting! I was a bit uncertain because I hadn't really tried the scooter on a sidewalk before. I jerked it a bit, forgot how to brake a little, but it was awesome!! What a feeling to be able to be mobile like most others. It was downright exhilarating! I could go as far as I wanted without needing to sit down, and I could enjoy what I was seeing without trying to plan for the next place I could find a seat.

The scooter and I wandered around for about three hours and we had a great time together. After three hours I began to see bait of yellow on the battery indicator when I accelerated, so I called it a day. I'm not sure how long I have after that light turns on.

The pros: FREEDOM! No pain (alright, less pain!). The scooter fit in my car without collapsing it. I just needed to lower the handlebars. I have a RAV4 and it fit with room to spare! Without the battery attached I could easily load it by myself. Now I can just scoot off to the mall anytime I want.

The cons: I didn't use the back rest but I did find the seat to be hard and uncomfortable. I'm planning on having it reupholstered as I have read that others have done. The only other con is that I wish there was a way for more people to learn about Travelscoot. It will change my life and I know I'm not the only person who could profit from the freedom it's bringing.

I'm smiling as I write this…Thanks to all who wrote about their experiences: They truly helped me make the decision to get my scooter.


Margaret

1 comment:

  1. Margaret, I redid my seat but still am working at finding the right gel pack or something to add. Wheelchair people may know more about and I plan to ask some. congrats on your success

    ReplyDelete