Sunday, January 25, 2015

Hammar Al-600 Lift, a Sienna van, and the TravelScoot


From Abby:

After having so much difficulty with my PriusV wagon (no one would put any kind of lift in it, I couldn't find someone to make an arm lift for it, the dog ramps were too difficult to maneuver with my back and too heavy for me, and I researched every possible solution and couldn't find anything that would work) I contacted Mobility 101 to find if I bought a Toyota Sienna could they put a lift in it for the TravelScoot. They found the lift solution before I purchased the Sienna. The Hammar Al-600 was the lift that had the seat attachment for the TravelScoot. I decided on the platform lift because I wanted the greatest ease in getting the scooter in the car with the least amount of effort on my part. The pictures are of the various stages of the lift and scooter going out of the car. I also am showing you how the straps attach to the plate that is attached beneath the seat. I have a remote to use, as well as an attachment to the lift that also makes the lift work.

Above the red canvas holder I have attached a plastic container that I use to hold items. I used about  2" wide pieces of velcro, which I attached on both sides. It shows up very clearly in the photos.

I also looked into Braun Mobility Vehicles. They take Toyota, Honda and Chrysler minivans, lower the floors and add ramps. The conversions cost about $26,000, so even used ones are very expensive. The advantage is that the ramp is already part of the vehicle and the floor is lowered for easy access. Also, if a person is in a wheelchair they can use their chair instead of the driver's seat. I thought that that route was way overkill for the TravelScoot and decided to get a minivan and put a lift in it. If I ever become more disabled and need a wheelchair, the lift I have could also accommodate one.

My service dog is a 62 pound lab. With his harness on he was having trouble getting in and out of my previous sedan. The Toyota Sienna has ample room for him to easily get in and out of the car. I bought some nice foam dog mats that I put on the floor to make it comfy for him.













3 comments:

  1. Sorry about the unrelated comment, but I need TravelScoot help :-). My scoot wouldn't turn on today, even though the battery was fully charged. Where or how do you fix your scoot when something happens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could it be the on/off switch is acting up? When you try turning it on and off several times, what happens? Do you have the old or new model? Did you put your battery back on the charger to be sure it's "greened up?" There's not much that can go wrong on the TravelScoot, so luckily maintenance isn't something you'll have to deal with a lot. Do you have a person in your life who is good with mechanical things? They could be a big help, even if they're not familiar with the TS. How old is your scoot? What type of battery does it have and how old is the battery? We'll help you however we can. You can also call TravelScoot and they'll help too. I hope you're scooting again quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby that is an awesome lift, what an excellent setup!

    ReplyDelete