Tuesday, May 20, 2014

TravelScoot Repair Resources

Welcome to Mimi, a new TravelScooter:

Thank you for creating and maintaining your blog.  It helped me decide to go ahead and get a TravelScoot and while it is still very new to me, it already feels like a life-changer at a challenging time.

I don't know anyone else in my state who owns a TravelScoot (although I know several folks in CA who do -- and they LOVE them!).  I want to be prepared in case of damage or maintenance needs.  I'm not at all handy, so I'd love to find a shop near me that might be able to handle the kinds of small repairs I might expect from regular use.

Do you (or any of your readers) know of any repair shop resources in Massachusetts?

Thank you!


-- Mimi

6 comments:

  1. I have owned my Travel Scoot for several years now but have needed no maintenance other than putting back in a screw that worked loose. I do carry a spare drive belt but have not needed it yet. These things are built VERY well. So my advice is to not worry about repairs. That said, as packable as these things are, I would probably ship mine back to the factory if I needed something serious done to it. That way I would know the repair would be done right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, good to know that those little scooters are so solid! Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. Mimi, I find bicycle shops good at doing minor fixes. What city are you in? Also, since the travelscoot is almost like a Razor (what kids ride) many of them can help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Dean! I live in Somerville, just outside of Boston. There are a ton of bicycle shops in my area, so it is good to know they might be a resource. Thank you! -- Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liza emailed this information to me about her scoot:

    I have had my TravelScoot for almost 3 years, used daily, and haven't had any need for repairs at all. The only thing I do is the recommended Vaseline on the buttons that unfold the frame as it makes them slide in and out smoothly. I have a spare belt and have yet to need it, but the replacement instructions that came with the scooter and the allen wrench make it a self-repair. If you contact local hospitals or pharmacies that carry or use wheelchairs or mobility equipment, they usually know of resources for repairs. I have another older, larger scooter we retired for "gardening" duty, and I've been able to get parts, batteries and how-to help from MonsterScooterParts.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Repaired one with frayed wires going to the motor. This happened with <1 year of use...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_aNB7SnbVg

    ReplyDelete