Thursday, October 20, 2011

Lymphedema patients benefit from TravelScoot





From Dean:

For many of us who suffer from lymphedema walking great distances is a problem when your legs are wrapped or in compression bandages.  I tell people frequently that I couldn't do 180,000+ miles/year travel if it wasn't for my TravelScoot but even in my home city, Omaha, it allows me to be mobile.  I was at a hospital yesterday receiving massage therapy on my legs and as I left on my scooter I saw an old man with a cane struggling through the hospital and I heard him say "That is what I need".  I agree with him but many people are too proud to acknowledge their lack of ability to move around and suffer needlessly when they could be using mobility aids.  I think the best thing we can do as happy users is to help spread the word and explain why people should use TravelScoots. I have heard people say cruel things like  "It just makes you lazy". If they think that users would use them if there was an alternative, they are crazy.     Stroke victims, people recovering from leg surgeries, are all good candidates also.

 

2 comments:

  1. Dean, I so agree with you. I can't understand people who can barely walk saying, "but I don't want to give up walking". Instead they are giving up living their life to its fullest. I'm so glad for you that you found TravelScoot, I'm sure you are an inspiration to many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But Rhonda, that's what I don't understand. They aren't giving up on walking if they use a scooter for the distance walking they were avoiding anyway. They can let the scoot take them the distance, then save their energy and ability for the actual activity.

    I know, I know. I'm preaching to the choir!

    ReplyDelete