Saturday, April 4, 2009

Hurry... QUICK... You have to SEE THIS!? Did you see it?! Hurry!

Today I took my TravelScoot to my mom's nursing home for an adventure. She can't walk and she can't easily travel by car, so it's hard to give her a change of scenery. Her nursing home has gorgeous grounds that go on for acres. Soooooo...... I got her out in the hallway and on my left side. I controlled my scooter with my right hand, and grabbed the right arm of her wheelchair with my left hand and we took off, side by side. We went down one hall, and then another one, and then we kept on going until we saw sunshine. "Oh yes!" was her answer to asking if she wanted to go outside, so I opened the door and out we went, side by side down the sidewalk, past the Virgin Mary statue, down the wheelchair ramp and into the parking lot. Sweet freedom. We were going fast enough that the wind was blowing her hair.

I've always wanted to take her on a long walk like that, but just couldn't. I have a feeling she was the envy of the home today. The "Hurry... QUICK... You have to SEE THIS!? Did you see it?! Hurry!" was something we heard from the other end of the hall. It was someone on the staff telling a coworker to look at what we were doing.

Independence is a GREAT thing and the memories we made today are priceless.

6 comments:

  1. I just wanted to add that whenever we got to a door I got off my scoot to open the door and get us both through. Then whenever we came to a ramp, it was only wide enough for one of us at a time so I got off again and pushed her up, then got back on and rode my scoot up the ramp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story. I'm glad you both got some wind in your hair today :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I'd had someone there to take pictures of us. I may have to get one of my sisters to do just that. It was really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Cynthia, how much time are you spending thinking about your TravelScoot? When I ordered mine, I had it in just a few days. While I was waiting for it I think I memorized the TravelScoot website!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spend a lot of time thinking up things I will do if my TravelScoot works as well for me as yours does for you.

    Seeing you gliding around and getting things done is very inspiring.

    In the back of my mind I am however, worrying about it breaking and stranding me. I hope it proves me wrong because I have lots of places I want to go.

    I have been all over the TravelScoot website since you first ask about the TravelScoot on the NAAFA mailing list.

    Mine is being shipped Monday and it should be here within the week. I will be seeking an empty parking lot in the middle of the night for test driving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We put mine together after dark, and the first place we tried it was in the house. It worked fine for Alan, but wouldn't get going for me. It has to be something about the floors in my house, or maybe my fear of crashing into a wall. I think the parking lot idea is a good one. I wish I could see your face the first time you get going on it. My sister Kay looked like a kid on Christmas morning when she tried it in Target for the first time. It was so cute!

    ReplyDelete