Thursday, June 25, 2009

Segway helps disabled man more than wheelchair


Dr. Peter Poullos was a first-year gastroenterology fellow, paralyzed from the shoulders down in a freak accident. Nine months into his recovery he reluctantly ordered a motorized wheelchair. One night he and his wife happened upon a show on the Travel Channel called "Accessible Adventures." What happened next involved a visit to a Segway showroom that changed his life.

I've posted the link here because Dr. Poullos writes about how insensitive some people can be to those using mobility aids. It's an interesting article about using a Segway as an alternative to a traditional mobility aid.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/17/INMSV3G2E.DTL

1 comment:

  1. For some reason, the link didn't work for me but I was able to read the story here:

    http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/article/Segway-helps-disabled-man-more-than-wheelchair-3766599.php

    A great story to share, really. I've enjoyed reading it, somehow it's funny and tragic at the same time, and being (as I am) a shy scooter yet, it makes me think and see things in a different way.

    ReplyDelete